Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Goodbye Homecooked Meals, Hello Astronaut Food

As far as I can tell, some of the strangest things come on the radio early on Sunday mornings. I was driving into Lexington to spend the day doing schoolwork and waiting for more sows to arrive from the farm, when I heard that we were going to be talking about making food security more of a possibility for people.

Of course this caught my ear and I was so intrigued I had to keep listening. What followed was a discussion with the Head of Efoods Direct. And what I heard surprised me.

Efoods Direct is a company that makes packaged food that can be stored for up to 25 years. The idea behind families buying these bulk supplies is that they will make themselves more food secure and not be left to worry how they are going to buy groceries if they get laid off, a storm system comes through, and as far as I can tell in case of a nuclear (or some sort of destructive) holocaust.

Efoods Direct stems from the fact that food prices seem to be steadily increasing which can be due to a large number of concerns such as supply and demand, specialty items, regulations, inflation (I think you get the idea).

Now I think it's a great idea to store some food if you are concerned about food security or some sort of disaster happening. In the case of a zombie apocalypse, I'm not sure this astronaut food will help you survive though.

The longer I listened the more concerned I became about the bulk food storage idea. All you need to do to make these quick, family meals is add water! But it's not astronaut food.

Ummm, sounds like astronaut food to me?? Oh, it's more flavorful huh? Well it's dehydrated, so isn't it pretty much astronaut food? Not to mention ALL of the food is vegetarian. Yep, vegetarian. Don't worry they have a couple of meals that contain TVP (textured vegetable protein) that they label as chicken, beef, and ham in order to "represent a flavor profile" because meat can't be dehydrated. And you can always enjoy a nice refreshing glass of (dry mix + hot water + chilled overnight) whey milk!! Yum, that will be delicious during a nuclear disaster when all of our fridges are gone and we are running through the woods away from the zombies.

OK, so maybe I am bashing this too much. I will stress again that it really may be a great idea if you don't want to cook a big meal or you are a senior who wants to remain independent (this seems to be a popular concept to that age group because they don't have to actually cook meals but can receive proper nutrition and remain independent).

But what are we teaching our children by eating astronaut food? Will people who use this food even know how to make a real meal (one that doesn't involve adding water)?? Will their children even know what a fresh vegetable, delicious glass of milk, fresh cheese curds, or a juicy steak is?

From ND AG in the Classroom
What happens if there is actually a major disaster and everybody has to go back to farming to survive?? (Granted that we survive whatever this disaster may be). We are already seeing an overwhelming ignorance in where food comes from. People think milk and other food comes from the back of the grocery store! The general public is already 3 generations removed from farming. So if we see an increase in dehydrated food popularity (which wouldn't actually surprise me), haven't we irrevocably damaged our children's education?


Will they even realize that food doesn't come in a powder and all you have to do is mix water?

What I thought was going to be a good lecture on how to improve food security ended up terrifying me. Food security is a real issue in the US and all over the world. But allowing people to enjoy more convenience and forget what actual food looks like may not be the best solution.

I think I will stick to my real meat...it is after all Porktober!


Visit www.porkbeinspired.com for recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment